Bankruptcies and Restructurings
Samuelson Law handles business or commercial bankruptcies and restructurings, and certain types of individual or personal bankruptcies. What distinguishes Samuelson Law from most other bankruptcy law firms is that Samuelson Law focuses on the transactional aspects of the bankruptcy, not just the litigation.
Due to its transactional background, the firm is very experienced at understanding, negotiating and drafting bankruptcy-oriented contracts, amendments to leases, plans of reorganization and other transactional documents. It can also help the parties envision what their opportunities and relationships may be like after the bankruptcy proceedings. Often, there are options that can be explored, pending or post bankruptcy, that open up new ranges of possibilities.
Samuelson Law represents the following types of clients in particular:
- Debtors, especially real estate developers, contractors, investors, management companies and tenants
- Banks, equipment lessors and suppliers, and trade creditors and other unsecured creditors
- Secured creditors
- "White knights" or other buyers of assets, or assignees of leases, in bankruptcies, foreclosures, receiverships, UCC sales and assignments for the benefit of creditors
- Owners of small businesses and franchisees
- Clients with temporary liquidity problems who need protection under Chapter 11
See BtN v. Ardent in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Columbia.